Disability Benefit Information
Protect one of your most important assets - your ability to earn an income!
If you think that you will be able to continue your current lifestyle in the event of a disability, please consider the following:
- Do you have any savings that you can use while you are out of work?
- How long will that last you before it is used up?
Did you know this about NJ State disability benefits?
- As a NJ government employee, you must exhaust all of your accumulated sick leave before you are eligible to apply.
- If you are out for more than 6 pay periods, you are required to pay your medical contribution.
- Only off the job disabilities are eligible.
- You must be disabled for more than 7 days before you can receive benefits.
- The maximum number of weeks that you can collect for any one disability is 26 weeks.
- The benefit level is 2/3 of the average of your last 8 weeks wages earned, up to the maximum weekly benefit of $ 615/wk.
- It typically takes 2-3 weeks to process your claim from the date of receipt in the NJ State Disability office.
- Benefits are generally issued every two weeks.
- FICA tax is withheld from the benefit, but the benefit is also subject to Federal Income tax, which is NOT withheld from the claim unless you file form W4S.
- There is NO pension contribution while on NJ State Disability.
For more information visit the NJ
Did you know this about Social Security Disability?
- The application takes up to 5 months to reveiw.
- Benefits do not start until you begin your 6th month of disability.
- The definition of disability under Social Security requires you to be completely unable to work at the job you used to do, as well as unable to adjust to other work due your medical condition, and that your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least a year, or to result in death.
- Social Security pays only for total disability.
- No benefits are payable for partial disability or short-term disability.
- In 2011, the average monthly Social Security Disability benefit was $ 1,110.50. (From the Annual Statistical Report on Social Security Program, Social Security Administration, 2012)
For more information visit the Social
Security Administration website.
To address your disability income needs, we offer several plans with different insurers that allow you to choose from a variety of benefit periods payable, as well as choices in elimination periods (the time frame before you are eligible to apply for the benefits). This allows a custom package to be designed for your needs!
- The benefits are paid in addition to many other sources.
- The benefits are not taxable.
- Most plans can replace up to 40% of your income.
- Some can be custom designed to replace up to 60% of your income after
days of paid disability.
- In general, most disability benefits are payable for off-job disabilities only.
- Some plans can cover an on the job accident disability at 50% of the monthly benefit.
- We can customize some packages to include 24 hr lump sum benefit payments for accidents.
Contact us at 877-652-3637 for other available plans and details.
Allstate Benefits products are underwritten by American Heritage Life Insurance Company.
AFLAC products are underwritten by American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus.
Colonial Life products are underwritten by Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Company.
All product descriptions on this website are for general educational purposes only, and based on policies approved for sale in the State of NJ, United States, only. Please refer to downloadable product brochures for specific details. Other products are available that may not be listed, and for other states also. Please contact us at 877-652-3637 for details.